Thursday, June 17, 2010

On The Road Again




Another trip, another race! This time I journeyed to Colorado and of course brought along the "Pink Bandanna". The miles are adding up, the word is spreading! On May 9th, I ran the half-marathon at the Colorado Marathon, in Fort Collins. This was my first experience running at altitude. Quite a bit different from the flatland of Florida! It was a wonderful experience and a beautiful, scenic course. The start for both the "full" and "half" marathon is in the Poudre Canyon above Fort Collins, elevation 6,500 feet. The temperature was 40 degrees, clear and calm. We gathered for the start in a field of sage nestled between two mountain peaks. The sun was just rising and the shadows in the canyon were breathtaking. This is a small race with a cap of 1,500 for the "half" and 1,000 for the "full". There were not many spectators in the canyon, however, once into the Fort Collins area the crowds increased and were very supportive.
I have several small events planned in Florida this summer. In October, I will be running the "Wineglass" marathon in Corning, NY. Of course I will be in Jacksonville on February 13th, then on to Boston on April 18th. I need to do something special for Boston!

2 comments:

Runner's Anonymous said...

Nice pic at the top of the post!!!

I can't tell you how many times I misread the title of this blog as "The Pink Banana".

Hope you are dealing well with the heat. Looks like you have plenty of it!

Jim

oakley said...

i like the picture on the top!
good luck on your future and more power!