Monday, April 7, 2008

Birth of the Blog


Many of the posts to my other blog had to do with the "26.2 with Donna-The National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer." As I was reading some of the comments, I realized there was a tremendous amount of interest and support for this event. So, within a few hours, "The Pink Bandanna" was born.

The name for the blog came about this way. The pink bandanna has become the symbol of the breast cancer movement. Every participant at this years marathon received a pink bandanna in the goodie bag handed out at the expo. Many participants and spectators were wearing them on race day. My friend Donna, shown in the photo entitled "Inspiration", is currently battling breast cancer. She has already registered for the 2009 half-marathon! What are you waiting for?

Our Donna, is not to be confused with Donna Deegan, Race Founder, and two-time breast cancer survivor. Both of these ladies are the inspiration for this blog.

We hope that you will enjoy reading the posts and leave us your comments. We would like to hear about your experience with the race or your plans for 2009. Please consider joining us in Jacksonville Beach, FL, on February 15, 2009.

5 comments:

Donna N. said...

Jim..I would like to personally thank you for doing this. What a great birthday present you gave me. This IS a worthy cause. I can't tell you how many women I come in contact with that have "a story." I'm thrilled about this Blog.

Lorraine said...

Jim,
I also am delighted to be a part of a group that cares so much about people and who want to see an end to the awful disease in our lifetime! Thanks for your hard work!!

Jim said...

I hope that as we move forward with this project we can attract our fellow runners and have them contribute. As we discussed the other day, we have many options we can choose to follow. We have stories and photos, but hearing from others who ran this year and will choose to run in 2009 will drive this blog. So, if you are reading our comments, please leave us one and consider registering for the "26.2 with Donna". Please help us get the word out by forwarding this blog to your friends. Thank You!

Daria said...

What a great site I stumbled on while looking for more info to add to my own blog about the run.
I ran the 1/2 or rather I should say I walked most of it....too hot for this Central NY runner....and have already registered for the 1/2 in 09---yes I am chicken to run the WHOLE.
Come on runners/walkers.....put one foot in front of the other and perhaps we can stomp out cancer.
BTW....loved the way that you displayed the medal on the bandana. I have tried various backgrounds and can't come up with a pleasing design---can I use yours??

Jim said...

Daria-Thank you for your comment. I would be happy to share the photo with you. We are all in this together. Congratulations on completing the half-marathon! It was even hot for Floridians. If you e-mail me, I can forward the photo to you.